Dayna Steele is the creator of YourDailySuccessTip.com and the author of the 101 Ways to Rock Your World book series. She is a success strategist, serial entrepreneur, and radio Hall of Famer. Dayna is married to former NASA pilot Charles Justiz, has three sons and two rescue dogs in Seabrook, Texas. Sign up for Your Daily Success Tip and she’ll give you a free copy of her book. Really.
1. When you changed your name to Steele, was that a legal change or do you just use it as a pseudonym?
It is strictly a radio name but I have used it for so long, it is a part of my very being. My first major market radio program director told me to use it for good luck, he didn’t like my maiden name of Nicholson and also thought it would be safer for a woman to use a fake name on air. Steele came from Allison Steele, ‘the night bird of New York City.” Google her, she was the definitive rock radio chick!
2. Did you really pose naked and pregnant for Health & Fitness?
Yep, that is me!
3. When you had your sons, did you feel at all conflicted between career and family, or was that conflict laid to rest before the 1990’s?
Any mom that says she isn’t conflicted is lying. I had to weigh priorities every day and still do. Of course, as they become teenagers, they don’t even know if I am home half the time!
4. How often are you referred to as “Charles’ wife?”
Every chance I get. He is more often refereed to as Mr. Steele. He is very good natured about it and corrects them with, “That is Dr. Steele.”
5. How often is Charles referred to as “Dayna’s husband?”
6. When you rode in the “Vomit Comet” did you attempt any acrobatics?
Yes but I discovered I am just as coordinated in Zero G as I am in Earth gravity – which is to say not very. I spent more time flailing and trying not to knock things over. And you do try to keep still a good part of the time to keep your stomach calm.
7. Do astronauts and rock stars have much in common?
They have everything in common. There are so many talented people in the world but not all can become rock stars and astronauts. It starts with talent but has to be backed up with knowledge, networking, appreciation and finding out what other people are passionate about and feeding that passion.
8. What was the path to publication for Rock to the Top: What I Learned About Success from the World’s Greatest Rock Stars?
It started as something to have to sell at speeches to justify the gas cost across town. Then we decided to self-publish to see what that was like in advance of publishing Charlie’s book, Specific Impulse. We enjoyed the process so much that we self publish to this day.
9. Do you have any great success stories for fans of 101 Ways to Rock Your World: Everyday Activities for Success Every Day?
Maybe just where the book came from – you have to pay attention to what people are saying to you and recognize opportunities. In March 2011, former rock radio diva turned serial entrepreneur now Your Daily Success Tip Chief Tipster Dayna Steele wrote a blog post for FastCompany.com. 5 Things To Do Every Day For Success was an instant hit, going viral around the world for over a year. When the views hit the 1,000,000 mark, Steele decided it was time to turn those five tips, and many more she had thought of and others had given her, into a book. The 101 Ways to Rock Your World book series was born with the first title 101 Ways to Rock Your World: Everyday Activities for Success Every Day.
10. What’s the difference between Everyday and Every Day?
You have to read the beginning of 101 Ways to Rock Your World! You can get a free copy and find out the answer to that question if you sign up for YourDailySuccessTip.com!
11. For my day job I teach at a technical college, and many students dream of a job where they can hide in a server room and never interact with another human. Is it possible to find success without building relationships?
12. Will you ever run out of daily success tips?
Not so long as people want to be successful. We may have to repeat a few but will only repeat those worth repeating!
13. Will you ever retire?
Just laughed out loud. My mom is 83 and still working. I come by it honestly. Find something you love and do it until the day you die.
14. Many husbands drive their wives crazy when they retire. How’s Charles’ retirement working out?
He is so busy with his corporate aviation safety consulting and I am so busy with corporate speeches that we literally have to sit down occasionally and schedule time with each other.
15. Of all the advice you’ve given, which piece is the most difficult for you personally to follow?
Get some rest.
16. As a public speaker, you are well experienced in communicating verbally without using profanity. Do you find that people are losing this skill as profanity becomes more and more acceptable?
You haven’t been behind the scenes, I can out cuss any sailor or rapper. With that said, I am careful when it flies in public but it does sometimes. I used it just last week on stage in Las Vegas to make a point. I don’t do it very often but it does depend on the audience. I do need to get better about it at home. Growing up we called them “Daddy words” as in “do not repeat any Daddy words.” You can replace that with Mommy in my house. I need to work on that. Damnit.
17. Are you still involved with The Space Store?
Only as a shopper.
18. What is Smart Girls Rock?
SGR is a company on the back burner that I will bring back to life probably next year. It is to encourage teen girls to purse STEM.
19. Is having a high handicap in golf a good thing or a bad thing?
It is a bad thing if you play serious golf. It is a good thing if you just want to relax and have fun – something most golfers forget to do.
20. Who shot first, Han or Greedo?
I always refer to Charlie the Wonder Husband on these matters!