It’s the first week of NaNoWriMo and I’m OK. Just OK. Not great, not even comfortable, but OK. At the dawn of day 5, my word count is a nice even 7k. I was above the line until yesterday, then a few small yet time-consuming and uber-annoying real life events intervened, as well as the fact that I had my weekly SciFi Utopias class with my hubby.
I have no idea whether the surplus of odd events lately is just a phase, or whether it’s a new norm to which I need to adjust. Like when you time your ride to work, knowing it should take you sixteen minutes, yet every morning it takes you twenty-two minutes and you’re always late. Don’t tell your boss every day “I don’t know what happened, I left early enough, but ___.” Just apologize, and start leaving earlier. I used to eat breakfast at work (we had a nice cafeteria when I worked for the phone company) just to make sure I was never late again.
My ROW80 Goals? They’re NaNoCentric. I was above the goal line until yesterday. I’m just under it today, but can probably make that up.
Oh, and my true love?
Last week I was sick. Just a cold, but bad enough that all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and try not to cough too hard. Several days last week, my hubby came home from work a couple of hours early so he could take care of the kids after school. This also involves picking them up… our littlest is in Kindergarten, and our teenager has special needs, both of which require face-to-face pick up.
Being sick had several casualties:
- Big kid made her orthodontist appointment thanks to Daddy, but we forgot to call the school and let them (and her special-needs team) know that she would be late. This prompted an incident resembling the scene in Office Space where Peter neglects to put a cover sheet on his TPS report and his boss takes it upon himself to correct him.
- We made the orthodontist, but missed the dentist for both girls. This is now rescheduled.
- I had an overdraft in my checking account, even though I haven’t written a check in more than a decade. Fortunately, it was less than $20 and I have overdraft protection.
- I gave up completely on one submission I wanted to do. I put the story on the shelf and might finish it someday. The antho was for Lycanthropic erotica, and I had an interesting twist I liked.
- I didn’t finish the submission I really want to turn in. I still have about a week, but that also takes time from NaNoWriMo.
- I missed one Monday Night SciFi class, and although I had the homework pre-finished for that class and turned it in via my hubby (this was early in my illness) I wasn’t able to finish the homework for the next week (last night.) Fortunately, the teacher was kind enough to extend the deadline by a day. Actually, I should be doing that right now, not writing a blog post…
- Invitations for my Kindergartner’s birthday party didn’t go out two weeks in advance, they went out only one week in advance, and only to her school class. We missed church and therefore missed giving invitations to the other little kids there.
- The entire family missed church, since neither parent was feeling well and hubby hates going without me. Church is important to me, and I want my kids to feel how important it is. They both missed their choir rehearsals that day, and big kid missed Youth Group.
- All that, and of course the housework is even behinder than it usually is.
Yes. I can say “behinder.” Poetic license, you know.