A Round of Applause!

Huzzah!

Yesterday I received an e-mail letting me know that a short story I submitted has been accepted to an anthology! This means I have two stories coming out in two anthos… one in the fall, the other in December.

I spent the last round tying up loose ends, and mostly succeeded. I spent the last two weeks working on the Star Trek: Phase II shoot Bread and Savagery. It was an incredible experience, not just as a Trekkie, but as a novelist. Being intimately involved with the production of a story from script form to action was relevatory.

But now I’m very much out of the writing habit.

I’m also very unsure of what my goals should be. My Marie Antionette fantasy has gone on for six months now, far longer than I’d planned for this serial “short.” I need to concentrate on the Pangalactic Sojourners, as an editor has expressed interest in them. That little spark of interest by someone who could greatly help me further my writing career should be enough to inspire me to delve headfirst into a writing frenzy! And I’d love to do exactly that. However, real life makes demands, and I can never have as much time as I’d like to write.

So my goals for this round?

1. Spend the first week writing as much as possible, and gauge what a realistic daily writing goal should be. I know I can do 1k1hr when I’m warmed up and in writing mode. This first week, I’ll have to take as an initiation to getting back into that mode.
  2. At the beginning of the second week, write more specific goals.

Good things are happening. Now I have to make sure I follow through, and don’t let a good thing pass me by.

The shortlink to this post is http://wp.me/p1qnT4-Pk

Advertisements

About AmyBeth Inverness

A writer by birth, a redhead by choice.
This entry was posted in Commentary & Musing, ROW80, Writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to A Round of Applause!

1. Emily says:

Congratulations on being included in the anthology, and the interest from the editor! Both things you can be proud of! Good luck with the rest of the round!

2. caswebb says:

congrats!

3. Jeff Clough says:

Congratulations on your submissions being accepted! I’ll also note that I probably should have taken your tactic above for my own goals. The ones I picked all still seem doable, but I really should have tested–or eased into–two of them before signing on the dotted line. 🙂

• Thanks!
      I’m torn… I want to set my goals high because I have a very real possibility of selling some stories. The two anthologies are charitable endeavors; great kudos, but no money. I just worry if I set my writing goals too high, I’ll sabotage myself.

4. fakesteph says:

Congrats! And good luck getting back in the habit.

5. Noelle says:

Stick with it! We’re all in the same boat together. Let’s keep ROWing!

6. KM Huber says:

I think it’s terribly important to gauge one’s goals so good for you in taking such a realistic approach. Obviously, you understand your writing needs. Also, well done on the acceptance as well as catching an editor’s eye. Look forward to seeing how this round develops for you.

Karen

7. Congrats on both of your anthology submissions! Good news to that you’ve caught the eye of an editor. Inspiring!

Here’s to another great round of words! I hope you find a good writing rhythm again soon.

~Tui